After You Use One Technique, You’ll Discover the Power of the Ten Tools that Stop Relapses or Retain Sobriety.
Use a 3×5 card. Write the 10 techniques on it. At the beginning of the day or when something triggers you to view porn or sexually act out, read the list of 10. The technique that stands out focus on it exclusively.
The craving will leave you.
Secret: Carry the 3×5 card wherever you go.
The Ten Techniques
- Write compelling benefits (lifestyle and medical) of being free from porn.
- Jot down a few intense emotional experiences (desperation or shame of others finding out) that porn has caused.
- What do children learn about sex from seeing a parent viewing pornography? Quickly write one sentence.
- Are a person’s sexual addiction congruent with her vision and values for one’s life?
- Find like-minded people at support groups; perhaps, 12-steps meetings.
- Can you write down exactly how you want to behave if you have a triggering experience; moreover, make a commitment to yourself?
- What warning signals (cues: triggers, sensual feelings, persisting thoughts) can you use to resist porn and keep your commitment? Arousal does not mean you failed but is a warning signal to switch thoughts or behavior.
- What can you replace porn addiction with (e.g. prayer with meditation music or complete body relaxation; choose healthy substitutes.)? Will take time to reprogram your mind and body.
- Who (friends & family) can support you (be aware of saboteurs who don’t want you to succeed)?
- How can you reward yourself after completing a successful week (successfully completing an action goal of sobriety)? (Prochaska, 2008)
The 10 powerful techniques were an inspiration from the Transtheorectical Model by James O. Prochaska, Ph.D. of the cognitive and behavioral processes of change.
Prochaska, J. (2008). Decision Making in the Transtheoretical Model of Change. mdm.sagepub.com; February 5, 2015. Retrieved from http://mdm.sagepub.com/content/28/6/845.full.pdf.